As our next Mac Consulting Engineer, you'll work hand in hand with our small team and clients to help design, sell, implement, and support information technology solutions leveraging primarily Apple products.
We're interested in bringing diverse skill sets and backgrounds to our team. We are looking for creative thinkers and problem solvers with a variety of interests and passions, who have the willingness and fearlessness to bring their passion to work.
For the right candidate, this position offers rapid advancement opportunities.
We are a globally distributed team of developers, strategists, and technology enthusiasts. We believe that technology should help, not hinder, amazing work. We created Alectrona to prove that companies can prioritize security and compliance and still create a delightful environment where everything just works. We believe that humans deserve secure, easy-to-use tools and systems that put them first since they are the ones behind the wheel.
Alectrona's expertise is in integrating Mac & iOS devices into enterprise and mid-market businesses, assisting in modernizing traditional IT towards a user-centric model. We help IT organizations solve problems with integrating their Macs with Microsoft Active Directory (either natively or via configuring Apple Enterprise Connect, Jamf Connect/NoMAD), providing seamless Kerberos authentication for in-house services, as well as working with more cloud-forward organizations to integrate SSO (G Suite, Okta, OneLogin, Azure) and automate device setup (with help from Apple's Deployment Programs) and to automate common manual IT processes such as user account management. We help IT teams develop user self-service solutions to traditional software deployment and patch management through automated tools and scripting mechanisms. Whether in-house or BYOD, we can assist with the development of best practice security models and assist in balancing risk with end-user experience.
Our team has also developed a number of custom apps and automations for our customers, including end-user self-service Mac migration, workflows to help provide a better user experience for software updates and application patching, and automated remediation of some of the most common IT problems on the Mac. Alectrona delivers a majority of Jamf's instructor-led training in the Washington DC market (currently all Jamf 200 & Jamf 300 courses), combining instructor-led lessons with hands-on labs, where every student has a chance to demonstrate each new lesson learned. We have also delivered custom training engagements to enterprise, K-12, and higher education IT teams on Apple device management and Jamf Pro. Our team's industry accreditations & certifications include:
Jamf Certified Trainer, Jamf 200 & Jamf 300
Jamf Certified Integrator, macOS & iOS, remote & on-site integration
Jamf Certified Tech, Admin, Expert, & Server Admin Certifications (200, 300, 350, 400) versions 8-10
Apple Certified Support Professional (multiple versions)
- We're a fully-remote business, but most of our customers are in the Washington, D.C. area
- We constantly push each other to become better skilled at our craft and to deliver world-class technical solutions and customer service
- We're passionate about delivering value and quality to clients, both large and small
- We would rather be best than biggest, and we believe in supporting our team members as they develop new skills, competencies, and specialization
- We strive for innovation, efficiency, and continuous improvement, and are always looking to enhance our methods, tools, and processes
- We solve problems with creativity and innovation as well as experience; we are interested in your ideas and insight
- We foster a collaborative environment, and encourage teamwork
- Read more about our style and values here: About (alectrona.com)
About the Work
You're going to be our next Mac Consulting Engineer. Our clients will look to you for guidance on many of their technical decisions: when to buy new hardware, what cloud services to purchase or integrate, and whether they need training for in-house teams or ongoing support through Alectrona's managed services. We're there from strategy and planning through to execution, trusted advisors to our clients.
- The core function of this position is to:
- Troubleshoot and resolve customer and end-user technical issues on Apple devices, Meraki networking equipment, and with cloud providers such as Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and Atlassian
- Design and lead the implementation of Apple and cloud-based solutions to help solve our clients' business needs
- Build relationships with our customers based on trust and clear communication, becoming their advisor for technology issues within Alectrona's scope
- Improve things, within our systems and processes and those of our customers
- We're a startup. Although we're firm believers in clear documentation and repeatable processes, ours aren't all there yet. There will be ambiguity
- Our projects and priorities change. Frequently. Startups move fast; we adapt with them
- You enjoy customer service and the feeling of helping customers solve problems
- You consider your ability to learn a key competency; you enjoy learning new things
- You enjoy change and variety and the opportunities they present
- You have a knack for taking complex ideas and explaining them simply and clearly
- "That's not my job" is not in your vocabulary
- You enjoy the challenge of stepping outside of your comfort zone
- You're versatile and have a talent for and interest in selecting the right tool for the task
- You understand that there are multiple ways to arrive at valid conclusions and have the ability to integrate others' work and viewpoints with your own
- You strive to create value with all your effort and understand how each project and activity contributes to the company's success
- You pay attention to the details, and pride yourself on always delivering quality, whatever you're doing
- You have the flexibility to retain focus on the details while also keeping an eye on the big picture
- You are comfortable working from high-level goals and directives and within time constraints, and reporting your progress against them
- You're organized. Very organized. You love being organized
- You’re continuously improving your current skill set and hope to grow your craft. We’re in a rapidly changing business; we’re focused on staying ahead
- You're interested in technology, Apple's ecosystem, and business operations, and are interested in making a career at the intersection of these areas
- You hold Apple and/or Jamf Certifications and are interested in obtaining additional certifications relevant to the position.
- Technical proficiency with MacOS, iOS, small office networks, and common cloud services
- Demonstrated English-language writing and editing competency
- Demonstrated experience providing customer service, especially for high-value clients
- Aside from the above, we have no firm requirements. We do, however, preference those who have or can:
- Demonstrated the ability to acquire expertise. In particular, MacOS, Jamf Pro, Cisco, Google, and Microsoft certifications are good indicators of skill set match
- Describe the applicability of their expertise to our business
- Describe their desire to acquire additional, complementary expertise in the future
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the approximate annual compensation range for this role is $60,000-$90,000, including base salary and any related bonuses or commissions. Alectrona provides benefits, including medical insurance. We have an unlimited vacation policy.